I haven’t posted in about a month and now we are leaving this morning for a week in Seattle – but I will try to make a quick update! Since we returned to the valley at Thanksgiving, I have been a busy busy weaver, making the final push for the galleries and a holiday gift show in Twisp. I already had warps set up on my two looms at home, so the first order of business was to weave those projects and do all the finishing work.
On Kingston (40″ Macomber) I had 12 yds of warp for a final run of the Lace Bronson placemats. I used the same warp colors as in one of the first versions of these mats, since I had a potential buyer for up to 12 of them. Found some fabric at JoAnn’s in similar colors, so here was the basic colorway:
I wound up making 12 of these:
4 of these:
and only 3 of these because I ran out of warp:
Moving back to the 48″ Macomber, I had a warp for 5 more plaited twill scarves in what I am calling the Pomegranate colorway. I used 8/2 Tencel from WEBS for all of these: black, shale, taupe, eggplant and navy. They all turned out great! It takes me as long or longer to twist the doubled-back fringes on these, as it does to weave them, so that gets a little tedious.
These pictures were taken rather hurriedly down at Local 98856 in Twisp, where I was setting up for the “Handmade for the Holidays” gift show which runs Dec 14-24. I have a nice spot in a corner window, and there are a lot of really nice handmade items plus garden-oriented items (Local 98856 is normally a gardening business).
So by the second week of December I had finished placemats and plaited twill scarves, and was ready to move on to some of my “mixed warp” scarves. I decided to make them a little wider than the ones I did last year – 8 inches on the loom, finishing out between 7-8″ after weaving and washing.
I also had Rick install the sectional warp beam on Kingston so I could use my AVL warping wheel in the way it is really intended – to make a 2″ section of warp at a time, then wind it directly onto the sectional beam under tension. I had been a little apprehensive about trying this, but it turned out to be ridiculously easy and I was able to put on a 21-yard warp in a matter of hours! It is 21 yards because the warping wheel has a maximum 3-yard circumference, and with 7 winds I get the 21 yards. I would never attempt to make a warp this long for conventional beaming, especially with the sticky yarns I was using.
The first warp I called “Blackberry” and I got 9 scarves, each 72″ long plus a 4″ fringe at each end – and one more shorter one.
This past week I decided to go for one more set of mixed-warp scarves, to be sure I have plenty of inventory out there before we leave for the week. I started winding the warp on Sunday night:
I had these woven, off the loom and washed by Wednesday night (as a result of long days…) and yesterday had them trimmed, pressed, labeled and out to where they needed to go.
Somewhere in there I also made about 20 lavender eye pillows, using samples and leftover bits of handwoven fabric from past scarf projects for one side, and with silk fabric on the other side. Didn’t get any pictures, though. I am using a mixture of brown flax seeds and lovely organic lavender for the filling – the flax gives them a little heft and drape so they lie across the eyes nicely.
So now my work is done and I can relax, enjoy time with family and friends, and let my body recover. See you in the New Year!